What is Studienkolleg?
In simple words, Studienkolleg is a school for 13th class, which every non-European student must visit before he could apply for UG courses in a German university. It is a form of preparatory courses for the bachelor courses at German universities and usually lasts for one year, which is equivalent to two semesters, with the possibility of repeating only one semester.
This is a full-time course with about 32 hours of instruction per week and usually takes up to two semesters to complete. The two components of the course are the German language and subjects relevant to the study program you want to register for later.
It is divided into 5 courses, each with varying subjects and depending on one’s choice of future studies, which are as follows:
- T Course for engineering, maths, and sciences, e.g., for bioinformatics (also course M), chemistry (also course M), geography, geology, computer science, maths, mineralogy, physics, business informatics (also course W);
Subjects: approx. 10 hours German: approx. 8 hours Maths: approx. 12 hours Physics and chemistry, 2 hours Computer science / constructive geometry / electrical engineering (depending on chosen degree program)
- M Course for medical/biological degree programs, e.g., for biochemistry, bioinformatics (also course T), biology, chemistry (also course T), geoecology, medicine, molecular bioengineering, pharmacy, psychology (also course G), veterinary medicine, dentistry;
Subjects: approx. 10 hours German: approx. 16 hours Chemistry, biology, and physics: 4 hours Maths: 4 hours Latin/Greek vocabulary
- W Course for business science & social science degree programs, e.g., for business studies, European economics, financial and business mathematics, law (also course G), social sciences, sociology, economics, economic geography, business informatics (also course T), business education, economic science;
Subjects: approx. 8 hours German: approx. 8 hours Maths: approx. 10 hours Economics and business studies: 2 hours Social studies: 4-6 hours English
- G Course for humanities, arts, languages and social science degree programs (where these are not assigned to course W) and for psychology (also course M) and law (also course W);
Subjects: approx. 10 hours German: approx. 6 hours Literature: 4-6 hours History: 6 hours Social studies: 4-6 hours Latin or English (depending on degree program)
The university of applied sciences Studienkollegs offer the following specialized courses as preparation for studying:
- TI-course: for technical and engineering degrees
- WW-course: for economics and business degrees
- GD-course: for design and art degrees
- SW-course: for social science degrees
Isn’t there any option to skip Studienkolleg?
Yes! You can skip a Studienkolleg in Germany. In order to do that, you have to enroll at a recognized university in India, for at least one year, after which you can directly apply to a German university if you meet the language requirements. If you are opting for this method, then it is advisable, that you learn the German language up to the C1 level, in order to strengthen your chances to get admission to a German university.
List of Indian Universities in Punjab, Chandigarh, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, J&K and Uttarakhand which are recognized in Germany:
- Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar (Punjab)
- Adesh University, Bhatinda (Punjab)
- Guru Kashi University Bathinda (Punjab)
- Baba Farid University of Health Sciences Faridkot (Punjab)
- D.A.V. University Jalandhar (Punjab)
- Dr. B. R. Ambedkar National Institute of Technology Jalandhar (Punjab)
- I. K. Gujral Punjab Technical University Jalandhar (Punjab)
- Guru Angad Dev Veterinary & Animal Sciences University Ludhiana (Punjab)
- Punjab Agricultural University Ludhiana (Punjab)
- Desh Bhagat University Mandi Gobindgarh (Punjab)
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Mohali Mohali (Punjab)
- Punjabi University Patiala (Punjab)
- Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law Patiala (Punjab)
- GNA University Phagwara (Punjab)
- Lovely Professional University Phagwara (Punjab)
- Chitkara University Punjab
- Guru Ravidas Ayurved University Punjab
- Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering and Technology Punjab
- Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology Punjab
- Thapar University Punjab
- Indian Institute of Technology Ropar Rupnagar (Punjab)
- Panjab University Chandigarh (Chandigarh)
- PEC University of Technology Chandigarh (Chandigarh)
- Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research Chandigarh (Chandigarh)
- Punjab Engineering College Chandigarh (Chandigarh)
- Punjab Engineering College Chandigarh (Chandigarh)
- Punjab University University of the Panjab University of the Punjab Chandigarh (Chandigarh)
- National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research SAS Nagar Mohali (Chandigarh)
- Ashoka University, Sonipat (Haryana)
- Lingaya’s University Faridabad (Haryana)
- Manav Rachna International University Faridabad (Haryana)
- YMCA University of Science & Technology Faridabad (Haryana)
- Apeejay Stya University Gurgaon (Haryana)
- BML Munjal University Gurgaon (Haryana)
- ITM University Gurgaon (Haryana)
- National Brain Research Centre Gurgaon (Haryana)
- The NorthCap University Gurgaon (Haryana)
- Chaudhary Charan Singh Haryana Agricultural University Hisar (Haryana)
- Guru Jambheshwar University of Science and Technology Hisar (Haryana)
- Central University of Haryana Haryana
- Lala Lajpat Rai University of Veterinary & Animal Science Haryana
- National Institute of Food Technology, Entrepreneurship & Management Haryana
- National Dairy Research Institute Karnal (Haryana)
- Bhagat Phool Singh Mahila Vishwavidyalaya Khanpur Kalan (Haryana)
- Deen Bandhu Chhotu Ram University of Science and Technology Murthal (Haryana)
- Indian Institute of Management Rohtak Rohtak
- Maharshi Dayanand University Rohtak (Haryana)
- Pandit Bhagwat Dayal Sharma University of Health Sciences Rohtak (Haryana)
- Chaudhary Devi Lal University Sirsa (Haryana)
- Chitkara University Barotiwala (Himachal Pradesh)
- Baddi University of Emerging Sciences & Technology Baddi, Himachal Pradesh
- Himachal Pradesh Technical University Hamirpur (Himachal Pradesh)
- National Institute of Technology Hamirpur Hamirpur (Himachal Pradesh)
- Indian Institute of Information Technology Una Himachal Pradesh
- Kurukshetra University Kurukshetra (Haryana)
- National Institute of Technology Kurukshetra Kurukshetra (Haryana)
- Manav Bharti University Himachal Pradesh
- Shoolini University of Biotechnology and Management Sciences Himachal Pradesh
- Ch. Sarwan Kumar Himachal Pradesh Krishi Vishwavidyalaya Palampur (Himachal Pradesh)
- Bahra University Solan (Himachal Pradesh)
- Hemwati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University (Uttarakhand)
- DIT University Dehradun (Uttarakhand)
- Doon University Dehradun (Uttarakhand)
- Forest Research Institute Dehradun (Uttarakhand)
- HIHT University Dehradun (Uttarakhand)
- Himgiri Nabh Vishwavidyalaya Dehradun (Uttarakhand)
- Institute of Chartered Financial Analysts of India University Dehradun (Uttarakhand)
- University in the Sky Dehradun (Uttarakhand)
- University of Petroleum and Energy Studies Dehradun (Uttarakhand)
- Uttarakhand Technical University Dehradun (Uttarakhand)
- Graphic Era University Dehradun (Uttarakhand)
- Dev Sanskriti Vishwavidyalaya Haridwar (Uttarakhand)
- Gurukula Kangri Vishwavidyalaya Haridwar (Uttarakhand)
- University of Patanjali Haridwar (Uttarakhand)
- Uttaranchal Sanskrit University Haridwar (Uttarakhand)
- Kumaun University Nainital (Uttarakhand)
- Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee Roorkee (Uttarakhand)
- University of Roorkee Roorkee (Uttarakhand)
- Hemwati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University Uttarakhand
- National Institute of Technology Srinagar Srinagar (Jammu & Kashmir)
- Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences and Technology of Kashmir Srinagar (Jammu & Kashmir)
- University of Kashmir Srinagar (Jammu & Kashmir)
- Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University Jammu (Jammu & Kashmir)
- University of Jammu Jammu (Jammu & Kashmir)
- Baba Ghulam Shah Badshah University Rajouri (Jammu & Kashmir)
Types of Stuidenkolleg:
- Public or State-run Studienkolleg
- Private Studienkolleg
Public Studienkollegs are usually tuition-free and their degree is usually valid to study anywhere in Germany.
Private Studienkollegs often charge tuition and it is important that you find out whether the private Studienkolleg you wish to study at even offers a certificate which is valid in all of Germany.
Be aware: All private Studienkollegs are not recognised by the German Government.
Cost of Studienkolleg:
Public Studienkollegs: There is no tuition for attending a state-run Studienkolleg, although there is usually a fee between 100 and 400 Euro per semester, depending on the Studienkolleg.
Private Studienkollegs: Private Studienkolleg may attract a good amount of fee which may vary from 2500 Euro to 6000 Euro.
Please note: You are not allowed to work during the semester while you are attending the Studienkolleg.
Requirements for Admission in Studienkolleg in Germany:
- A valid school leaving certificate (12th) with a relevant subject combination,
- Proficiency in the German language (minimum B1 level, it is always advisable that you do B2 or C1 from India and then apply for Studienkolleg. It will save you time and money.
- You have to clear an entrance exam (Aufnahmeprüfung) before you enroll yourself in Studienkolleg.
- Once you are done with Studienkolleg, you will have to clear the Feststellungsprüfung, which has a written and an oral component then you are eligible to apply for a UG degree course at German university or FH.
Please note: Success in this examination does not automatically lead to admission to a university or FH.
We hope, this information will help you further. If you are a student of German-Haus, then get an appointment at Office for the free Visa guidance and SOP check. 🙂
Click here to see rankings of different German universities as per different parameters.